I finally got around to reading through The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. I’m not finished with the book yet, but so far, I really really like this book. The principles laid out are clear, profound, and easy to understand. I definitely wish I’d read this book four or five years ago (I’m only twenty four, I wouldn’t have appreciated it any earlier than that).
Yesterday, I got to the part where Stephen Covey talks about writing a personal mission statement. He provides two examples from two individuals he’s worked with. One is formatted as a list of simple ideas, the other is formatted as an essay. I’m going to go with a list format. Some of these things are things I haven’t been doing, but they’re things that I want to do.
- I continuously learn, grow, and improve.
- I approach the world with an open mind and an open heart.
- I strive to be a role model.
- I look out for my family, my friends, my coworkers, and my students.
- I take the initiative.
- I reach out to those who matter, in all aspects of my life.
- If I feel immobile in a situation, I figure out what I can do and do it.
- I try to share what little knowledge and wisdom I do have with those who need or want it.
- If I am in a moral predicament, I seek wisdom from others before acting.
- I add to this list as I continue to experience life.